August 20, 2012

Carting around.

A long time ago Mr.B had a kitchen cart that he passed on to his brother. Fast forward many years and 2 new houses, and we were re-gifted the kitchen cart. It worked perfectly in our new house and he couldn't use it in his new house. That's what I call a win-win!

When it made its way into our house it was in rough shape. It had never been stained or sealed so it was completely unfinished. Just imagine an unfinished furniture piece in your kitchen and what it would look like after say 3 years. It was worse than what you could imagine probably.

Initially I scrubbed the top down with vinegar because that is my go to cleaner. While the scrub down helped it still just wasn't doing it for us. It was definitely in rough shape and we talked many times about wanting to fix'er up. 

Last month I finally decided to tackle the project. Mr.B and I had discussed it a few times and knew we wanted to keep the top natural wood but stained, and the bottom part we wanted painted.

He took the whole thing apart for me - which I thought was just more work in the beginning but it was kind of nice to be able to separately sand each piece and it also kept the top stained piece away from the bottom painted pieces.

I get excited and so I forget to take good before pictures so this is the best I could find. The only one I could find  if I'm being honest. This picture actually makes it look good, don't be fooled, or maybe it doesn't.


So I also so excited I didn't take pictures of each step - but I at least have pictures of the after. It was of course a really hot day when I decided to do this so the paint was drying really quick. Almost to quick because the bottom shelves were difficult to get in between all the slats and drips were drying but satin paint is pretty forgiving so I made it all work.

Even though it was completely unfinished I did sand it because it had years of build up. I wanted it to be nice and smooth and ready for a fresh coat. Max totally photo bombed and I didn't realize until I loaded them onto my computer and he was to cute to crop out.


The top is stained in Minwax Red Mahogany. Apparently a few weeks before when we talked about it we decided on staining it Minwax Golden Oak which all our trim is - oops! We both love it this way though and are glad I had my one and only memory lapse to date. HA.


Nice backside.


I stained the towel bar as well to give it some contrast. I'm happy with that decision. The top and the towel bar got 3-4 coats of poly.


I purchased the granite cutting board from Christmas Tree Shop for a whopping $7.99. You really can't beat that - makes a great cutting surface. We won't be cutting on the butcher block because I don't want it to get all scratched up. Plus, I don't know if you need a certain poly that is food safe?


The bottom part was painted Homestead Resort Antique Lace in Satin. It was exterior paint that we had on hand for some other project that never got used. It is most definitely an off white so I don't know why it comes up online as looking pink/peachy. I reused the knob and stained that too to break up the white.


Our kitchen has very little counter space. There are only two 12" cabinets with drawers so utensil holders don't even fit in them. We were thrilled to add a third drawer that could accommodate our silver ware. The bread box is an antique store find that I got for $15. That is a JEM!  

The frying pan was gifted to be some friends and its Mackenzie Child's. I know - I'm a boss. To the left of the bread box is a vintage coffee grinder that Mr.B's parents picked up for us. It has a really cool flower pattern in the metal on the top. 

We had the stain from previous projects and we also had the gallon of paint so this project was FREE! My favorite kind of project.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover