September 25, 2012

Chicken pot pie.

OK, let's get a few things out there in the open before I start this one. I am not a trained chef, I did not go to a culinary institute or eat my way through France, I was never even a waitress.

However, I do love to come up with different recipes. I get inspiration from cooking magazines, cooking shows or just seeing stuff in the store or at a restaurant. Rewind to when I was on vacation and we went into a Harry and Davids store. In the freezer section I saw they had pot pies, but instead of the ordinary crust they topped it with stuffing. I thought to myself - that is so boss!

I've never particularly found myself having a hankering for pot pie. Growing up I actually despised the nights my Mom made them for dinner. I would eat the crust, potatoes and chicken and I was o-v-e-r it. I've really been broadening my horizons with food lately.

Somethings that I didn't like or wouldn't try but will eat now are: tuna fish sandwiches, scallops, sausage and peppers, imitation crab meat, olives, peas, green beans, artichokes, banana peppers, etc.

All this to say that when my new Everyday Food magazine arrived and the front cover had mini pot pies - it hit me! I want to make mini pot pies but with the stuffing topping. Now, I tend to shy away from baking because I hate to follow recipes - so I didn't use a recipe for the filling I made my own. Here she blows.

So here's what was in my basket (a nice chopped reference for ya, Dad): Chicken broth, 2 celery stalks, one onion, 2 chicken breasts. Not pictured: frozen green beans, peas and carrots, corn. A side note - that leopard knife is one of my awesome birthday knives I talked about here - and they are so sharp and awesome I can't get enough of them!

Ingredients for chicken pot pie filling

I diced up the onion and 2 celery stalks and put a little bit on butter, salt and pepper in the pot and let them sweat a little bit.

Sweating onions and celery in a little bit of butter

After about 8-10 minutes I added in 1 tsp. poultry seasoning and let them cook a few minutes more.

Adding the poultry seasoning to the onions and celery

In the meantime I had cut up my chicken breasts into small pieces and was cooking them until they were no longer pink.

Cooking chicken in a pan

I added my 2 cans of chicken broth, frozen peas and carrots, green beans and corn to the celery and onion mixture.

Adding chicken broth and frozen vegetables to celery and onions

I used Bell's brand poultry seasoning - and I also added 1 tsp to the chicken while it was cooking.
Bells seasoning

I seasoned the chicken with salt and pepper and the Bell's seasoning - it took about 10 minutes to cook.

Chicken seasoned with salt and pepper and poultry seasoning


Meanwhile, I was bringing my pot of ingredients to a boil.

All the ingredients for the pot pie filling in the pot

I added in 1/3 cup of flour and 1/4 cup of milk so that it would thicken - put a lid on it and let it boil some more.

The filling boiling

I used 2 decent sized ramicans - I typically use these for french onion soup and they are the perfect size. While the pot pie filling was cooking I made some chicken stove stop stuffing - as that was going to be my topping. I just followed the directions on the box - nothing special.

Ramicans that I'm going to put filling in

After the filling had boiled for 15-20 minutes I took it off the heat and filled up my dishes almost to the top. Then I just topped them with my stuffing.

The ramicans filled almost all the way to the top

I pre-heated my oven to 350 degrees and put them in to cook for 15 more minutes.

The stuffing added to the top of the filling and placed in the oven

Dinner was served!! They were so good - they weren't really thick it was more of a soup type consistency but mixed with the stuffing it was perfect. Mr.B and I loved them!

Dinner is served!


I tend to make way to much of whatever I'm cooking. As you can see I had quite a bit leftover. I just put it in a bowl with a lid and put it in the freezer. It would be so easy to take it out and heat it up in a pot for an easy meal one night!

All the leftovers that can easily be frozen

Martha Stewart won't be calling me asking me to sign a cookbook deal, but whateve's.

Here are the ingredients.

2 chicken breasts
1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots
1/2 cup frozen green beans
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 whole onion chopped
2 celery stalks chopped

1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup milk
2 tsp poultry seasoning
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 cans chicken broth

Pre-heat oven to 350

Place your chopped celery and onions in a pot with a 1 tsp of butter and let them sweat. After they've cooked for 5-10 minutes add 1 tsp of poultry seasoning. Cook for another 5 minutes or until they start to brown. Add 2 cans of chicken broth and start to boil. In the meantime chop chicken breasts up into small bite sized pieces and cook up in a pan. Season with salt & pepper and 1 tsp poultry seasoning. Once chicken is cooked add to chicken broth mixture. Add frozen vegetables to chicken broth mixture and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and add 1/4 cup milk and 1/3 cup flour - stir so you don't have lumps from flour. Turn heat back up, put a lid on it and bring it to a boil and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.

Make stuffing homemade or according to box directions. After filling has boiled and thickened add to oven safe bowls. Spoon stuffing on top and place in pre-heated oven for 15 minutes or until crispy.

Enjoy!

How great would this be with leftovers from Thanksgiving? 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover