October 15, 2012

Mug shot.

I showed you what I picked up at the Dollar Store a while back here and what I got at Hobby Lobby here. I picked up some white mugs at the Dollar Store and I got a stencil and paint to stencil them with at Hobby Lobby. This weekend I finally got around to giving it a try.

I started by removing the stickers from the bottoms of the cups. I knew I was going to have to put these in the oven and I didn't want the stickers to catch on fire or melt.

White mugs from the Dollar Store

Here are my supplies: Folk Art Enamel in black, a little dish to put my paint in, and a flat bottomed sponge brush to use with the stencil.

Stenciling blotter brush and Folk Art Enamel paint

I wanted the stencil to look random - so I positioned it how I thought it would look good and then just held it in place rather then try to wrestle with tape and getting it to stick. I held it tight to the cup and I knew it'd work just fine.

White mug with stencil

Here's how it looked after I blotted the entire stencil with the black enamel. There were a few lighter spots but I actually liked it because it made it looked more - awesome.

Stenciled mug

With my other cup I did the same thing - I held the stencil in place and then sponge brushed it.

Stencil and mug

Here's how the other mug looked after it was stenciled. I positioned this one random too so that it didn't look like something you could buy anywhere - custom looking.

Stenciled mug

I decided to add the Hello...to add a little quirkiness. I practiced quickly on a sheet of paper and then I just went for it because lets be real - they were $1 - worse case I just go buy more. 

Handwriting on mugs

I let the paint dry for and hour or two. The directions say to heat them in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.  It was unseasonably warm yesterday and I didn't want to heat up my big oven for 2 mugs. I decided to put them in my toaster oven which worked perfectly. Our toaster oven is convection - which means it heats things evenly because a fan distributes the heat. I put the mugs in the oven cold and turned it on - that way they didn't go from being cold to really hot. After the half hour the oven shut off and I left them in there to cool down slowly with the oven.


Here they are after I took them out of the oven - it doesn't change them it just makes the paint permanent. I'll keep you updated on how the paint stands up to washing.



I'm happy with how they came out. I didn't want them to be completely covered in the stenciled pattern and I wanted them to look custom. The handwriting just makes them more personal and quirky. I definitely want to get that folk art enamel in some different colors.

What have you stenciled lately?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover