October 17, 2012

Unbreakable.

I saw this tutorial floating around Pinterest for a while now. Several weeks ago I picked up some air dry clay at Hobby Lobby and I finally got around to giving the bowls a try.

I used the doily I talked about here , a bowl, rolling pin and a mat to roll the clay out on.

Air dry clay bowls

I just ripped a big chunk off I figured anything I didn't use I could just put back - no biggie. I ended up being able to make 2 bowls with some extra with that much.

Air dry clay bowls

So all you need to do is roll that mother out like your rolling a pie crust. Anyone that knows me knows I hate rolling dough out or clay. I wish these things would roll perfectly - I've lost my mind trying to get pizza dough to roll out. 

Air dry clay bowls

After I had it rolled out to a pretty good size I put my bowl over top it so I could cut around it.

Air dry clay bowls

Air dry clay bowls

Next step I just laid my doily over the clay. I offset it a bit so that it would give it that 'look'. Then I used the rolling pin and rolled over it.

Air dry clay bowls

Then I just picked it up and put it into my bowl so that it would dry in the proper shape. Depending on the depth you want you could use a smaller or bigger bowl. I didn't want it to have a huge dip because as Mr.B said, "I'm not going to be eating soup out of it." 

Air dry clay bowls

I had some leftover scraps from my first bowl so I rolled it out to make a smaller bowl. I have a bunch of vintage buttons so I decided to press a few into the bottom of this bowl. I ended up kind of making a flower pattern out of it.

Air dry clay bowls

I decided to change this one up and I used a smaller bowl so that it was deeper and I made a scalloped edge. It kind of looks like a big shell - and those are little jems on the bottom.

Air dry clay bowls

That's all you have to do - now I just have to leave them out to dry. The container says it will take 2-3 days. I think my larger bowl will take much longer because it is pretty thick.

I'm so pumped to make more stuff with that clay. It reminds me of my ceramics class in college which I absolutely loved! I made some awesome stuff in that class.

We worked on a exciting project today and I can't wait to share it with you! Probably next week- woo!

Ever use air dry clay or fire-able clay?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover