October 29, 2012

Wax on, Wax off.

Last weekend was my first experience with paste wax and I was thrilled. I never ending up “finishing” my stenciled dresser because I liked the look of the stained wood and didn't want to poly it.

However, lately it’s been looking really dusty, but when you wipe it off it still looked cloudy. I decided to give the paste wax a try on it.

Here’s how it looked before I did anything to it. It didn't look bad, but leaving it unfinished just wasn't working out.

The Freckled Redhead - Stenciled Dresser

The Freckled Redhead - Stenciled Dresser
I took a wet rag and wiped the whole thing down so that I had a clean surface to work with. I didn't want dust particles getting mixed in with the wax and being on there permanently.

The Freckled Redhead - Stenciled Dresser

The Freckled Redhead - Stenciled Dresser
I just used an old rag and rubbed the paste wax on in a circular motion and then let it dry for a couple of minutes and went back over it with a clean rag and “buffed” it to get it nice shine.

It might be hard to tell but it definitely have it a richer deeper color.

SDC13389

SDC13390
The top looks a lot better and I’ll be able to dust it off much easier and won’t look hazy.

The Freckled Redhead - Stenciled Dresser
It even brightened up the stenciled area where there was paint.

The Freckled Redhead - Stenciled Dresser
You can see how the color is popping in this picture and how the wood is really brightened up and brought out from one simple coat of paste wax.

The Freckled Redhead - Stenciled Dresser
Overall, I’m very happy with and it now that I know all the wonders of paste wax I’ll be using it a lot more!

One other thing I did in my office last weekend was to pair down what was going on. When I looked at this picture it just felt like too much! I have the one wall with the photo’s and then the other wall with the shelves but something felt like – too much.

The Freckled Redhead - Office
This just feels better. I moved the stuff around and eliminated some of the stuff on the desk – for the hundredth time.  I also removed the picture that was hanging to the left of the shelves.

The Freckled Redhead - Office
Between the desk with everything on it and then everything on the shelves and the walls it really just felt like to much - so I knew I needed to edit it.

The Freckled Redhead - Office
I want to move the shadow box or put something else over on that side and it will feel more balanced. It’s not a huge change but it makes a big difference – that side of the room doesn't feel to heavy. Now when I look at pictures it works for me.

SDC13408
This is my favorite angle. It all works!

The Freckled Redhead - Office
Sometimes you need to let things live in a space before you figure out how they need to be finished off and that’s exactly what I did with my stenciled dresser. I’m glad I waited and found the perfect thing to finish it off.

You also need to be a ruthless editor because sometimes you can over crowd a space. (Especially when you are a borderline hoarder) Just know that what you take down doesn't need to be thrown out you can rotate what you have – I’m sure I’ll find a different spot to use that painting and if not I’m okay with that too.

Have you ever used paste wax before? Did you love it as much as I have?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover