November 28, 2012

Lamps–check.

So I think it’s just about time to call this Turkey cooked! The living room turkey that is. I showed you the other day the lamps I got at Peter’s Auction barn. The wiring was old and one cord was being held together by some electrical tape.

We headed to Lowe’s and picked up two lamp kits. ( Click on the picture for source) It is a 3 way light kit which I thought was awesome – so awesome that I forgot to pick up 3 way bulbs, oops!

The Freckled Redhead - Lamp Rewiring
This is how the lamps looked before we did anything to them – they had harps on them but one was missing the finial and I don’t think they were the exact same height either.

The Freckled Redhead - Lamp Rewiring
They had super duper old wiring on them – you can tell by the tiny old plugs.

The Freckled Redhead - Lamp Rewiring
We started by peeling back the felt that was on the bottoms so that we could see the insides and have access to where we need to push the wire through.

The Freckled Redhead - Lamp Rewiring
The next step was pretty easy I just pulled the socket up and cut the wire and pulled the cord out.

The Freckled Redhead - Lamp Rewiring
The other one I had to un-screw the socked and pull it up so that the wiring was visible and I snipped that too. There was no use in un-screwing the screws and undoing the wiring because we had new sockets.

The Freckled Redhead - Lamp Rewiring
We were left with a big pile of old wiring – you can see the lovely electrical tape that was securing the one.

The Freckled Redhead - Lamp Rewiring
This is where we totally got ahead of ourselves. You are supposed to make a underwriters knot – so we did.

The Freckled Redhead - Lamp Rewiring
To properly attach the wire you need to look at your lamp cord and see which side is smooth and which side is ribbed. Pull them apart and then then attach the ribbed side to the silver screw on the socket. The smooth side gets attached to the gold screw.

The Freckled Redhead - Lamp Rewiring
Notice anything here?

The Freckled Redhead - Lamp Rewiring
After we had the wires secured around each screw we just tightened down the screws so it was tight.

The Freckled Redhead - Lamp Rewiring
Any seasoned lamp wire-ers out there notice what’s missing? The harp! Ya know the thing that needs to go underneath the socket – and the only way to get it on is to undo everything.

The Freckled Redhead - Lamp Rewiring
After that I started to work on the other one because it seemed like this could really turn into an all day affair at the rate we were going. I didn't take a picture but there are little holes on each that the wire needs to go through first and then up through the middle – on both I forgot the little hole first and had to re-do those.

Start with the harp bottom first – then screw on your socket cap. After that make your underwriters knot. Screw the ribbed wire onto the silver screw and the smooth wire onto the gold screw. Push the socket shell over the socket and down into the socket cap.

The Freckled Redhead - Lamp Rewiring
Ta-Da!

The Freckled Redhead - Lamp Rewiring
Attach the harp. Then add your shade. We got our shade from Lowe’s too they can be found here.

The Freckled Redhead - Lamp Rewiring
I originally thought I wanted burlap shades but then I saw these ones. They are linen and I liked how they married well with the bases because they had some texture and dark strands that went with the dark paint on the bases. I like that they’re timeless. I was thinking of adding some non-permanent ribbon to the top and bottom to add a little something, but for now I’ll keep them this way.

The Freckled Redhead - Lamp Rewiring
The base is pretty cool because it looks like little hearts all along the bottom. My sister told me I needed to scrub them more but its actually a gold paint used to make them look rustic.

The Freckled Redhead - Lamp Rewiring
Here is a shot of the top.

The Freckled Redhead - Lamp Rewiring

The Freckled Redhead - Lamp Rewiring
I love how tall they are – it is exactly what we needed on that side of the room. I moved the sunflower and took down the picture we had up because for right now I don’t think we need anything on the walls above them. I might change my mind down the road but for now I’m loving them just how they are.

The Freckled Redhead - Lamp Rewiring

I think it is safe to say this room is done! The lamps didn't take as long as I thought and we got some really cool ones that have character and charm. I love to find things in places like Peter’s Auction Barn because if these lamps could talk they’d have a story to tell.

I kind of wonder whose house they were in before? Maybe the Mayor of Jeffersonville's house from way back when? You just never know do ya?

2 lamp kits – $19.90
2 lamps – $15.00
2 lamp shades – $29.90
Total cost of 2 lamps – $64.80
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover