November 7, 2012

Light it up!

I planned on, hoped, wished and thought that today I'd be able to have 2 nice matching lamps on our lovely side tables. Unfortunately, things didn't pan out how I thought they would.

I really wanted to DIY some lights so that I could get exactly what I wanted but it turned out to be harder than I thought. I looked at vases, glassware and anything else that I could turn into a light at Home Goods, Hobby Lobby, TJ Maxx, Joann Fabrics and Target. Nothing struck my fancy and was the shape or size or material that I wanted.

We've looked at lamps at all those stores also and while there were some we liked they were a little pricey. I thought that I could make something that I liked for cheaper but after you buy the base, the shade and the lamp kit it seems like your at the same price point.

I'm still trying to decide what lamps I want now - we're back and forth between lamps or wall mounted swing arm lights. It's a work in progress - no telling how long until we progress.

I do have some lights to show you though - just not the ones I thought.

Mr.B doesn't have a Pinterest account and only sees what I show him. A couple of weeks ago he told me he wanted to change out our pendant light glass - and put some of our mason jars on them instead. I was thrilled because I'm sure you've seen all the chandeliers and pendants on Pinterest made out of mason jars - they're totally cute. I told how they are all over Pinterest and I love them so lets do it!

So last week he drilled a whole in the metal disc part of the mason jar so that the light socket would fit through. He then put the screw top lid over the metal disc and secured them with the white metal holder that's screws onto the socket. (I don't know the technical name for the screw piece that holds a typical pendant on - sorry) After he had that screwed in and the top part secured he just screwed a jar onto each one. Presto chango!

The Freckled Redhead - Mason Jar Lights

It was a simple easy project and I worked in the electrical department at Lowe's but don't remember or know if there is a technical term for that piece that holds the pendant light on. Bah! The one in the middle did seem to get hot when we had it on for a little while but I think that bulb is higher wattage then the rest - I'll keep you updated on any issues we encounter if there are any.

The Freckled Redhead - Mason Jar Lights

It was a quick update and it was free because we had the mason jars on hand because we use them as cups.  The light was already there it just had different pendants that were red. We get so much more light and love the look of it.

Make any quick updates that left a big impact lately?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover