November 1, 2012

We’ve got table fever!

That’s right baby – we just can’t stopping making tables over here!

After we made the X Coffee Table that we talked about here and here. We knew we wanted to make some matching side tables - one for each side of the couch because than we’d have a nice matching set. Plus, we really loved how the coffee table turned out!

Mr.B was all over it – he got right to work last week. He followed the plans from Ana White to make the tables – which we found here.

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
Once again he made each side first – and then put everything together using the kreg jig. This time he did things a little differently because he read the manual on the jig and found a better way he said.

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
Here is an up close shot of what the drilled holes look like from the k.j. for those of you who don’t have one, never heard of one or never even cared! That’ll come in handy someday – don’t thank me now, thank me later!

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
Here he added the horizontal pieces that attach each side to each other ( I know right now they’re vertical)

The Freckled Redhead - Side Table
He added the other side piece on top and BAM table. This should be making more sense now – the table is just laying on its side.

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
Using the k.j. he secured the bottom shelf pieces so that you couldn’t see any of the screws. He did three screws on 2 of the sides and two screws along the other side.

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
This is obviously the table upside down. You can see all the screws he used to secure the 2 pieces that make up the bottom shelf.

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
His next step was to add in the X detail. One board was cut to fit from corner to corner and the other part was cut into 2.

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
He secured from the top and bottom with the k.j. because the top of the table would cover the holes that would be on the top.

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
After he had both of the sides done with the X detail – it was time to move onto the top.

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
He decided this time that he wanted the screws to go through the top boards and he used wood putty to cover them up – he liked the character that it added to the table. We wanted the tables to match – but not be really matchy matchy and like they came from a furniture manufacturer.

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
Then there were TWO! He sanded them both down because there was paint and stamps on them from the store – and the finishing technique we use does not cover that part up so it was important to get that off.

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
I got to work getting them covered with some of the tea. The first batch of tea I made I used 5 regular Lipton tea bags and let them sit for about an hour and then squeezed them out and applied it to the tables.

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
I made sure to get all the nooks and crannies and not leave any spots untouched. In the pictures it looks like I did – but I really didn't some spots just absorbed it quicker I swear.

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
Here’s how they looked after the first coat of tea. I didn't make enough tea because I had some left over from last time that I was going to use, but then decided not to mix it in because I knew that it had some of the vinegar solution.  So I used what I had and then planned on making a second batch the next day.

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
So the next morning I made another batch of tea using about 5 tea bags and let them sit, and this time I decided to add in the tea I already had from the last time. Since last time I was dipping in the vinegar and then back into my tea there was definitely some cross contamination.

So this is how it looked after I got done putting the tea on both of them and it had sat for about 10 minutes they had gotten a little darker, but I still was going to put the vinegar on them so that they had maximum oxidization. The cross contamination caused them to oxidize on the second coat but that was totally okay.

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
I wore gloves when I put the tea on this time too because last time it really dyed my hands. I also put a drop cloth down last time and I should have done it this time because it reacts with and stains whatever it touches. Mr.B isn't loving the new splattered floor look we have going on.

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
The tables were looking good but before I applied the vinegar solution I wanted to let the second coat of tea really soak in and dry so I let them sit for several hours.

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
My solution had sat for another week and it was hard to take a picture but one was red rusty colored and the other one was brownish. I added a little vinegar and then mixed a little of each of them together and shook it up.

The Freckled Redhead - Side TablesThe Freckled Redhead - Side Tables

I applied the vinegar with a sponge again and made sure to get every spot – so I started on the same side and went to each spot the same on each table so that I didn't miss anything.

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
I put one coat of vinegar on each and this time I noticed that not using any black tea they came out a bit more brown than they did the last time.

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
They came with a more brown tint to them with a lot of golden streaks showing through.

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
Since the second coat of tea had a little vinegar and they had already started oxidizing I didn't need to apply a second coat to these. This is after they sat for a while and had mostly dried.

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
I think using the just the Lipton tea definitely had an effect on how they came out. We were still thrilled with how they came out. The beauty of these tables is that they aren't perfect and exactly the same – and the beauty of oxidizing is every time it’ll be a little different.

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
Mr.B came home and saw them and gave me the go ahead to get waxing them – he didn't think they needed a second coat of the vinegar either.

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
I didn't have any mishaps this time with pieces not oxidizing – that I was happy about!

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
I used the same technique I talked about on the last tables and with the stenciled dresser. Just get some of the wax on a cloth and then in a circular motion work it into the wood.

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
I love the way the wax darkens the wood and brings out all the characteristics of the wood and any of the light golden spots it highlights.

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
I did 2 coats of wax and then got a clean rag and buffed them – that really is the most important step in the whole waxing process. It makes it shiny and gives it a hard protective surface.

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
We added the brackets on the side – Mr.B spray painted them using the Rust-Oleum in hammered black again.

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables
He just holds the bracket and then hammers it into place – it doesn't need to be perfect the beauty of these tables is the imperfections.

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables

The Freckled Redhead - Side Tables

After we built the coffee table and then brought it upstairs to see how it looked – and realized that we never measured – Mr.B took an extra step and looked at the finished dimensions of the tables and measured next to the couch to see if they would be a good size – and they were so we went with it.

After we had them finished, waxed and had their hardware on them we brought them upstairs and for a second I was like, “I thought you said you measured.” After we had both in place they did end up fitting and they look great with the coffee table!

Here are some pictures I took last night. I feel like a broken record talking about getting lamps, but people I've obsessed for 4 months over pillows. I do plan on pulling the trigger on some lamps this weekend. We might even make our own lamps – I’ll just be excited to have two matching lamps. We could even get lucky and score something for the walls – here’s hoping! (I was showing Mr.B things I thought would be cool for around the house and we came out with an idea for the that wall - he said he might work on it today - I'm so excited to see how it turns out)

SDC13637

SDC13638

SDC13639

We are happy with how they came out. We had enough left over from making the coffee table to make one of the side tables (minus one 2 x 4 but technically we had it on hand ) Mr.B went out and purchased all the angle brackets and wood for the second table and it was roughly $52 and the coffee table was roughly $95. 

Our ‘matching set’ cost us $147.00 and when people come over and say, “Wow, awesome tables where’d you get them?” we get the pleasure of saying we made them and to us that’s priceless.

What have you DIY’ed recently we’d love to hear about it!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover