December 10, 2012

Paper trees

If you live on this planet and have a Pinterest then I’m sure you've seen ‘the paper trees’. I first ones I fell in love with were these from here. Then I saw some other variations here and here.

It’s no secret that I have a potential hoarding problem but only with the good stuff like - craft and home products,not cats or junk.

I collected a bunch of wallpaper books when I worked at Lowe’s because when wallpaper gets discontinued they’d just throw the books out. I just had to have them because I knew they could be used for so many things.

I decided to put some of my wallpaper to use and make some paper trees with them. It was pretty simple and I’ll show you how I did it.

First, I went through all the books I have and pulled out reds, gold and silver tones.

The Freckled Redhead - Paper Trees
The second on the right is a brown and the pattern and texture reminded me of bark so I included that one too.

The Freckled Redhead - Paper Trees
I started by folding the paper horizontal and pressing down in the middle and then doing the same the vertical way so that I could find the middle of each piece of paper. They weren't all exactly square so this would help me make my circle.

The Freckled Redhead - Paper Trees
I made a mark where the lines crossed so that I would know where the center of each piece was – and it was easier than trying to measure each one out.

The Freckled Redhead - Paper Trees
I used a flag I had and tied some twine to the end so that I could hold the stick at the center point that I marked out. I tied a pencil to the other side and adjusted it to the right length so that I could make a complete circle all the way around.

The Freckled Redhead - Paper Trees
It wasn't the world’s perfect circle – I'll admit – but it gave me the general shape that I needed. I then cut a chunk of out the pie so that I would have a point and could twirl it together.

The Freckled Redhead - Paper Trees
Wah-lah! This is what I was left with. I will admit that I expected it to be bigger – especially with the size of the sheets I was using. I realized though that it was because a lot of it was being cut off from making the circle.

The Freckled Redhead - Paper Trees
I was able to cut another piece of the ‘pie’ so that I could get 2 out of each circle.

The Freckled Redhead - Paper Trees
I made a couple of the small ones. I secured the folds with staples at the back and no one will even see them. I plan on embellishing them eventually with toppers and some garland, but for now as you saw here I left them as is.

The Freckled Redhead - Paper Trees
The next morning after I thought about it some more I realized I could make some bigger ones if I just twirled the bigger pieces of paper without making a circle and used the corners as my point.

I needed both hands to make these so I couldn't snap any good progress pictures. I spun them and then rounded the bottom so that it would sit flat. I trimmed and cut as needed and ended up with some taller trees to add to my forest. I secured the folds with some pieces of tape along the fold - again the back won't be seen so nobody knows but me - and you.

The Freckled Redhead - Paper Trees
The larger ones I could obviously only make 1 per sheet of paper but the smaller ones I could easily make 2 per sheet.

I don’t think they will be hard to store because I can just put them inside of each other and stuff the bottom one with tissue paper or grocery pages to they hold their shape.

Next year I want to embellish them a little bit more so I’ll see what I can pick up this year after the Christmas decorations go on clearance.

Our ugly sweater party was a success - it was a close race but Mr.B didn't end up winning for ugliest. There was a lot of food and it was a lot of fun! Hope everyone had a great weekend - 1 more week closer to Christmas and I actually got some of shopping done- woohoo!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover