December 12, 2012

Rocking around the Christmas tree.

I showed you our Christmas decorations last week here. Although, I wasn't totally thrilled to be decorating it was fun to make my paper trees that I showed you how to do here. I was so pumped that I couldn't wait to make a tree I saw on Martha Stewart out of pipe cleaners.

You can see the original tutorial from Martha's site here. It wasn't very hard and only took me about an hour - I loosely followed the tutorial and then added my own touch here and there.

To start I cut my piles of pipe cleaners: [2] 1" sticks and [3] 2",3",4",5",6" sticks after you've cut your groups  twist them around each other to make a star.

The Freckled Redhead - Pipe Cleaner Tree

The Freckled Redhead - Pipe Cleaner TreeI held mine together in the star shape and then grabbed the middle and twisted them. I had a pair of jewelry pliers on hand so I used those to crimp down my twists as I went along.


After I twisted them I was left with a star that I could adjust to my liking.
I did that for all 6 sizes but I didn't worry to much about the shapes and how straight everything was because I knew I'd be adding a lot more to them and would be able to adjust as I went.

The Freckled Redhead - Pipe Cleaner Tree

The next step was making the different branch lengths and having them in piles so I could grab them as I went. The original tutorial says to put [2] 2 1/2" branches on each but I felt like that was too much for me. I did make my branches 2 1/2", 2" and 1 1/2".

The Freckled Redhead - Pipe Cleaner Tree

So instead of doing 4 branches on each I did three and I like how that looked better. I did one of each of the sizes and spaced them out accordingly.

The Freckled Redhead - Pipe Cleaner Tree

For the second to smallest size I did 2 branches on each limb that were 1 1/2" and 1" and for the smallest one I did one branch that was 1" of each limb.

The Freckled Redhead - Pipe Cleaner Tree

I was impatient so rather than wait for Mr.B to wake up so I could look upstairs in the spot I thought I had some thicker wire I took 3 of the pipe cleaners and twisted them together at the bottom to make my trunk. Then I slid each snowflake on then wrapped all three pipe cleaners around a different branch...and secured it with my pliers.

I need both hands so I couldn't take progress pictures - but in the end I was left with an awesome tree! It's a little wobbly since I didn't use the wire in the middle but I'm totally fine with it. I was trying to think of something I could use for my base and knew I had just the thing. My little pot that I picked up at the thrift store that I told you about here was the perfect size to hold it. I had to wrap an extra pipe cleaner around the base to make it a little thicker so the pot would hold it better.

The Freckled Redhead - Pipe Cleaner Tree

 Then I was trying to think of how I would decorate it. I had some ribbon on hand and tried it, but it just felt to big and bulky on my sweet little tree. My ribbon was in my beading container so I decided to see if there was anything in there I could use.

I had some sparkly beads that fit perfectly on each branch and they looked like ornaments. So I slid them on randomly the same way you decorate your tree with ornaments. I had a yellow rose bead that fit perfectly on top and the color made it look like a lit up star.

The Freckled Redhead - Pipe Cleaner Tree

 I put my sweet little baby Christmas tree on the windowsill in the kitchen. It looks so cool in the little pot with all its sparkling beads.

The Freckled Redhead - Pipe Cleaner Tree

I had one package of 25 pipe cleaners that were 12" that I got from Hobby Lobby and I had enough - including the extras I used help make my base more sturdy. It was a fun project and would be something easy to do if you had kids.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover