January 21, 2013

Customization

As you know - it’s hard for me to commit to certain things like curtains, pillows, lamps, bedding…..I can pick paint colors all day, but ask me to pick a pattern or style and I’ll be days trying to decide.

So when it came to picking a cellphone case I’m no different. There are so many cool ones it’s so hard to decide. I’m my own breed of hoarder and I hate clutter and excess of certain things that I deem unacceptable. Having a bunch of cellphone cases falls into the unacceptable excess for me. I hoard so many other things - where would I even put them!

I came up with a solution - and I don’t claim to be the master mind behind this - but a clear case with custom inserts was the way to go for me. So here we go a simple tutorial for customizing your iPhone using a clear case!

I have the iPhone 4s so I chose to go with the Griffin Reveal Case. My phone is black and this case has a black bumper so it was perfect. I read a lot of the reviews so I knew what to expect - and the side button is partially covered up for turning volume off - but for as often as I do that it’s fine with me.

41EhJF3TAfL._SL500_AA300_

To start I took a piece of card stock and traced around my phone. I wanted to make a template that I could use in the future.

The Freckled Redhead- iPhone Case Customization
After I traced it out I took an xacto knife and went around the edge - I cut on the inside of my line so that it wouldn’t be too big and scrunch up the paper once I put it inside the case.

The Freckled Redhead- iPhone Case Customization
Here it is all cut out the next step was to put the paper inside the case and push it up against the back so I could trace out the camera opening.

The Freckled Redhead- iPhone Case Customization
It’s hard to see but I traced around the camera opening so I would know where to cut out.

The Freckled Redhead- iPhone Case Customization
Through trial and error I found the easiest thing to do was make a rectangle around the oval and cut that instead. I cut out the oval but it seemed to interfere with the camera - the rectangle eliminates a few little pieces in each corner and made it much better.

The Freckled Redhead- iPhone Case Customization
Next I looked through my stock pile of wallpaper and scrap paper to decide which I wanted to use. You can get scrap book paper by the sheet from Hobby Lobby, Michaels & A.C. Moore etc.. I have a bunch of wallpaper books from Lowe’s because they throw them out when they are discontinued. I also have a lot of wallpaper samples from companies like Maharam, Studio Printworks, Innovations USA…you can request free samples so I have a stock pile from when I was in school and we needed them for projects.

Once I found a piece I wanted - I lined it up with the portion of the pattern I wanted and then I traced my template and cut it out.

The Freckled Redhead- iPhone Case Customization
Next step was to put my template over top of it - with the pattern side facing down. Make sure you have the pattern side facing down because that is how it will be in the case and you want to cut out the correct side for the camera. Trace the square for the camera....

The Freckled Redhead- iPhone Case Customization
Cut out the square using an xacto knife. It would be really hard to use a scissor because it is so tiny so you will definitely want to have a utility knife or xacto knife on hand.

The Freckled Redhead- iPhone Case Customization
After the camera hole is cut out -WALAH! Custom iPhone case. It is much easier to store sheets of paper then a bunch of separate cases.

The Freckled Redhead- iPhone Case Customization
This picture isn't the greatest, but I wanted to show you that you really can’t even tell that I cut out a square rather than the oval.

The Freckled Redhead- iPhone Case Customization
It is so easy to change it - just take the paper out and put a new one in. You don’t even have to use scrap booking paper or wallpaper - you could draw a design on card stock or computer paper. You could even print out a picture off the internet that you like - or even print out a quote you like. I just thought of that - that’s a good idea!

The Freckled Redhead- iPhone Case Customization
Here are some others I made - using the template makes it a lot easier because then you don’t have to trace out your phone and camera each time. You can just use the template to trace both and done.

The Freckled Redhead- iPhone Case Customization
I did the same thing for my iPad but the case is a little different because the iPad sides are more rounded then square. So I laid my iPad down and traced around it….then I had to put it in the case and trace out all the cut outs and take it back out and cut it out.

The Freckled Redhead- iPhone Case Customization
The paper needs to end before the edge because it has little clips that keep it in place. There are a lot more obstructions because of the speakers and the plug and on top you have the camera. I use a whole punch and punch all the way around the camera to get a circle.

The Freckled Redhead- iPhone Case Customization
I only had to purchase 1 cellphone case and now I can customize it however I like. I really like the cellphone case because it has the rubber bumper all the way around the front so that if it fell it wouldn't land right on the screen and it offers some shock absorption.The plastic part hasn't gotten scratched at all either.

The case I got for my iPad is this one here. I really like it because I can use the smart cover with it with no problem or slide it into a carrying case because it doesn't add a lot of bulk. That has gotten a bit more scratched up but the scratches are hard to see when you have something behind it.

What do you think - will you give up your cellphone case collection and give it a try?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover