January 28, 2013

Let’s here it for the cleaners!

I decided to make a list and show you what I use to clean around the house. I try to keep things green and environmentally friendly, but some things I just haven’t found a good replacement.

With so many tutorials on how to make your own cleaners and all of the new products on the market it’s hard to decide which ones to use. I personally like to hear from peoples experiences and how they liked them.

The Freckled Redhead - Favorite Cleaners
Let’s start in the bathroom:

The Freckled Redhead - Favorite Cleaners
1. Glass Cleaner: I use the glass cleaner for the mirror (obviously) and I also use it for the windows in the rest of the house. I’m not married to this cleaner it’s just one Mr.B picked up one day when we ran out - take it or leave it - it cleans.

2. Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom - I know this isn't environmentally friendly but it works so good! I grew up with scrubbing bubbles so it’s just one of those things - I use this on the shower, toilet, and sink. ( I sometimes use this on my kitchen sink, but my Mom said it can make your stainless steel chip and get pitted)

3. Lysol Complete Toilet Bowl Cleaner - again I know this isn't the most environmentally conscious product to use but we have sulfur water and it leaves a lot of residue and I need something to get the toilet clean.

4. Homemade Bathroom Cleaner - I found this recipe here and loosely followed her measurements/recipe. It works really good and it is environmentally friendly so I might ditch some of my not so safe products and use this all the time. (More on how this product works in another post…)

So those are the products I use in the bathroom. I would be happy to give up my not so great products for something that was ‘greener’ as long as I got the same results.

Kitchen:

The Freckled Redhead - Favorite Cleaners
1. Mrs. Meyer’s All Purpose Cleaner (Lemon Verbena )- I love this brand of cleaners for many reasons. These products are very green and they clean good. Max and Kota are very sensitive to things with strong odors so while they still sneeze when I use this I feel better about it. I mix this up according to directions on bottle and have it in a spray bottle. I use this to clean the garbage can every time we take the garbage out - I’m OCD and our garbage can is white, leave me alone. I also use this to white the counters down or the table etc.

2. Mrs.Meyer’s Countertop Cleaner (Basil) - I love the scent of this it smells really good - it is very strong though so it really hits you. I like to wipe my counters down after I cook and they smell so fresh and clean after I use this.

3. White Vinegar - I use vinegar for just about everything and Mr.B picks on me. I take everything off the counters and wipe them down with vinegar. I have used it to clean the floors. I heat it up in the microwave and wipe the microwave down. I also use it to clean the drain (pour baking soda down first and then follow up with vinegar and hot water).  It’s definitely an all-purpose item around here cooking, cleaning….you name it I've probably used vinegar on it.

4. Dawn Power Clean Dish Soap - I use this dish soap for no particular reason except I had a coupon and it was on sale. I don’t love or hate it - it cleans my dishes and that makes me happy. I clean the sink out like a million times a day - so I soap it up and scrub it with a sponge and then rinse it with the sprayer. I like a clean sparkly sink.

Floors & Everywhere:

The Freckled Redhead - Favorite Cleaners
1. Libman Freedom Mop - I can’t say how much I love this enough. It is essentially a swiffer wet jet but with a refillable bottle that you can put anything you want in it - gold if it strikes your fancy. I've used various concoctions in this from straight vinegar, to vinegar, dawn & baking soda….the possibilities are endless.

2. Microfiber Cleaning Cloths - I have my Mom to thank for these rags. I believe she got them at Sam’s Club in a big pack and gave me a bunch. They are awesome and we use them for everything. Mr.B wipes the belugas feet off with these when his feet are dirty. We use them for dusting and they are awesome - most times I don’t even use a dusting spray because it attracts more dust - so a dry microfiber cloth is perfect. I've also wet them with some soap and water and cleaned our microfiber couch with them and they work great.

Laundry:

The Freckled Redhead - Favorite Cleaners
1. All Free & Clear HE Detergent - I’m sure I've mentioned it but I have very sensitive skin (chronic un-explainable hives for 3 years) so I don’t mess around when it comes to products that I use that come in direct contact with my skin. Growing up my Mom always used Tide - I've tried their free and clear but it just seems more harsh to me now. I have a high efficiency top loader so I make sure to always get the HE detergent (I used to sell appliances I can’t stress how important that is!).

2. Arm & Hammer Baking Soda - this is another multi purpose cleaner as you've seen from above. I use it to clean out the drains, floor cleaner…but my Mom gave me this tip. She puts it in with her laundry to make everything brighter. I also think it makes things cleaner as well - so I buy it in big huge bags and throw it in with all my laundry - thanks Mom!

3. Bounce Dryer Sheets - I flip flop between using these and not using these. When I do use them I just throw 2 in with the load. The only reason I’m on the fence is because of my whole sensitive skin ish but I do like using them since my detergent has no scent this makes everything smell so good. They also help to de-fur things in the dryer which is really nice because it seems like dog hair gets everywhere.

So those are the products we use around here to keep our home so fresh and so clean, clean. If you have any suggestions for bathroom cleaners that are greener I’d love to hear them so spill it!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover