January 31, 2013

Thrift Shopping!

On Friday I mentioned that our weekend was going to consist of a little thrift shopping - and then I became privy to the Macklemore Thrift Shopping song and posted it on my Facebook Page.

Then I finally sat down with my iPad and was going through my Flipboard - and finally got to my Google reader to read my blogs for the day and low and behold John & Sherry had just initiated The (Completely Unofficial) Macklemore Thrift Shopping Challenge.

For those of you who don't who Macklemore is - enjoy. ( This is not the clean version so just know its NSFW.)



So moving on - Mr.B and I did get a little thrift shopping in this weekend and I was totally pumped! He was only slightly pumped.

We went to the Re-Use Center in Ithaca so it was a bit of a drive - but we were in the area so it was just the icing on the cake for me. I've never been and didn't know what to expect but I found a hood vent they had there on Craigslist for $200 that was originally $2,500 so I knew they had good deals. (Found it for a friend and they purchased it and it worked - WIN!)

One side was all odds and ends like kitchen stuff, some furniture, doors, windows, light fixtures, computers....and the other side was filled with furniture.I took pictures with my iPhone so excuse the picture quality - but people were already staring at the Redhead taking pictures of everything.

This painting was pretty big 2' x 4' I'd say and the scene was kind of cool and it was only $10. I'm having not buying remorse I think.

The Freckled Redhead - Thrift Shopping
This was a super old dryer Lady Kenmore and it just cracked me up because it was 25% off and who would even buy this?

The Freckled Redhead - Thrift Shopping
This little stool was charming with the little knit pillow that went on top - it was $15 and it had everyone giving it a second look - I saw a lot of people checking her out.

The Freckled Redhead - Thrift Shopping
I thought this typewriter was awesome but I was fine with leaving it there for $40. That is until yesterday when I saw one that looked exactly like it only black on Fab.com for $500. I think I need to go back!

The Freckled Redhead - Thrift Shopping
I like old jars and this one was really cool and I checked the bottom and it was stamped with "Made in Italy" but for $25 it was a little too rich for me.

The Freckled Redhead - Thrift Shopping
I also gave this little hammered ice bucket a second and third look but for $12 it didn't feel like I had to have it.

The Freckled Redhead - Thrift Shopping
I had to get a picture of these old mac's - there were like 12 or more of them and I wanted to know who was buying these also? They also had new apple computers and printers and stuff.

The Freckled Redhead - Thrift Shopping
Mr.B and I were checking out the lamps and then we realized there was a Godzilla of lamps upon us and we didn't even realize. If there were 2 I would've had a hard decision to make. $40 for that big huge lamp - that's a steal!

The Freckled Redhead - Thrift Shopping
I feel in love with the green cast iron sink - Mr.B didn't so it stayed there. I hope someone gives that sink the love it deserves someday!

The Freckled Redhead - Thrift Shopping
These cabinets were kind of cool - I think they were meant to be installed vertically but that horizontal one had me thinking. If there were more we could have used them if we ripped out the soffit in our kitchen and installed these above our existing cabinets.

The Freckled Redhead - Thrift Shopping
I thought this light was really cool - I'm not loving the brass - but a little spray paint could fix that. It was cool but Mr.B made a good point that it really wouldn't fit in with our d├ęcor.

The Freckled Redhead - Thrift Shopping
I love shutters and these ones were wooden and in really good condition. I don't know how much the big one was but the shorter ones were $5. I kept going back to them but ultimately left them for someone else to enjoy.

The Freckled Redhead - Thrift Shopping
These old radiators caught our eye because they were so detailed and intricate - in the background you can see one was painted bright red and the one Mr.B is touching was shiny black.

The Freckled Redhead - Thrift Shopping
This old stove was pretty awesome. I wish things like this were reliable because I'd so want this in my house.

The Freckled Redhead - Thrift Shopping
I died when I saw this campaign style dresser. It was $45 - I wish I had somewhere to put it but we really don't need a desk.

The Freckled Redhead - Thrift Shopping
I was just going through my pictures and was totally bummed because there was a bench at the front of the store that we were really contemplating but weren't sure of on the size and for $50 we didn't want to gamble. There was also a wooden window that had a diamond pattern in the grills that was really cool for $25 and I was going to buy it but couldn't come up with a spot where we would actually use it. I'm having not buying remorse we could have put glass in the panels and aged the glass. Oh well....

We walked out and I was looking at things they had in the front window and we went back in for a second look. We came home with this vase for $5 - it had a clearance sticker from T.J. Maxx on it that said $26 - so I can't imagine what the original price was. WIN.

The Freckled Redhead - Thrift Shopping
They also had this cool old Heinz's tin in the window for $4 - we have another oatmeal tin that my Mom gave me so this tied in with that and we can start a little collection now.

The Freckled Redhead - Thrift Shopping

The Freckled Redhead - Thrift Shopping
It was in good shape no rust and the paint really wasn't worn off in any spots so for $4 I'd say WIN!

The Freckled Redhead - Thrift Shopping
$9 later and I was thrilled with my first trip to the Re-Use Center. They had some interesting pieces that were fun to look at and a lot of things that if I could have thought of where we would use it I would've purchased it.

They didn't have any velcro shoes, keyboards, moccasins or big coats so I didn't get any cool pictures like that for the challenge, next time Macklemore - next time.

I linked up to John & Sherry's Unofficial Macklemore Thrift Shop Challenge and you can check out everyone else's good finds over there.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover