February 19, 2013

Pantry the Finale!

I showed you last week our pantry progress and now it's time to show you the finale and all the steps it took us to get there.

While I let the closet dry I got to work getting the boards that we were going to be using for the shelves ready to go. We got the same kind of board we got for my Mom's nightstand. It was 16" by 96" you can find it here.

The width of the our closet was 25 3/8" so we were able to get 3 shelves out of 96" board. We had 1 x 4 left over so gathered up a bunch of pieces that would work for our braces and had to go out and buy 1 1 x 4 so we'd have enough braces for the back. We also had a 1 x 12 on hand and we were able to get 2 shelves out of that.

I laid everything out and got to work staining. I used Early American by Minwax - which is also what I used on my Mom's nightstand - and I loved it so I wanted to use it again.

I normally use a foam brush but decided to use a bristle brush this time and loved the results. I didn't have to wipe the stain with a rag at all (just the edges a little for drips) I dipped the brush and stayed in the middle of the board until the brush got a little dryer and then I went to the edges so I wouldn't have to worry about drips. It was awesome I don't think I'll ever use a foam brush again.

I stained one side of everything and by time I went through everything I could flip each one over and stain the other side. I let them dry for awhile and then went back down and poly-ed each side and let them dry awhile and went back to do the other side. I did 2 coats on one side of each so that the tops would have extra protection. (Tip: I put little post it tabs on the sides that I poly-ed twice so we'd know which side to face up. )

The-Freckled-Redhead-Organized-Pantry
Mr.B ripped the 1 x 4 in half because he didn't want it to be so big - so this way we didn't have to buy as much material and they'd still be able to hold the shelves just fine.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Organized-Pantry
I wanted to figure out the spacing so that we didn't just throw the shelves up in random spots and them still not function good for us. So I used my architectural ruler so draw the closet to scale and figure out spacing.

The (2) 12" deep shelves were going to be near the top and that was because you have the door and wall there so the deeper shelves would make it harder to get things on and off the shelves. The deeper shelves were in the doorway because it wouldn't be an issue to get things on and off.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Organized-Pantry
So the next step was to mark off where all the shelves would be. Mr.B measured from the top down 16" for the first shelf and then used his t-square to mark it off along the back of the wall.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Organized-Pantry
The app I had on my phone Ultra Utilities came in handy because it has a level (our level is too wide to fit in the pantry) so he leveled the t-square and drew his line.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Organized-Pantry
He measured everything off and drew the lines for all the back supports and then we went back an added all the supports in. You can sort of see the lines for each support in the picture below.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Organized-Pantry
Since we cut the 1 x 4's in half we made sure the cut edge was facing up on each support so that it wouldn't show once the shelf was on top. We had to use my phone again to level all the supports and then Mr.B nailed into the studs. We got really lucky and there was a stud in the middle of the back wall and on each end - so we could nail into 3 studs a couple times for each board.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Organized-Pantry
Here are all our back supports nailed in - all the cut edges facing up so that once all the shelves were on everything would be completely finished.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Organized-Pantry
The next step was to find a stud on the side walls and add in the side supports. There was a stud in the middle of the wall and in the corner so he could shot the nails in at an angle but we didn't feel comfortable with 4" of shelf not being screwed or nailed into anything. The top shelves were fine because those were only 12" deep but for the lower shelves we had to add anchors and screws to the ends of each.

We screwed a hole through the ends of all the boards and made sure we screwed into the right ends so that the cut ends would still be facing up.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Organized-Pantry
Mr.B measured where he needed to put the anchor drilled a pilot hole and screwed the anchor in then he just nailed the board into the stud in the middle and corner and screwed into the anchor at the end.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Organized-Pantry
So we screwed all the side supports in and then nailed all the shelves to the supports for extra security. I got excited and started adding some of my accessories in right away.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Organized-Pantry
We added the holder above awhile ago but purchased the wire racks to go on the doors for added storage. We got those from Lowe's you can find them here. The wire racks that slide onto the shelves were also from Lowe's you can find them here. The 3 tier shelf was from Wal-Mart and you can find that here.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Organized-Pantry
I had everything in storage containers while we worked on the pantry. So I just carried them over and organized everything as I took it out. I moved stuff and played around with where everything should be. I used the wire racks on the door for peanut butter and jelly, snacks and oatmeal. I hate cardboard boxes of snacks so its nice to be able to throw the boxes away and have a place to put stuff.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Organized-Pantry
I also got some apothecary jars from Wal-Mart and in the gallon size I put eggs noodles and ziti noodles in them on the 3rd shelf. I put rice in a quart size one - I could only find the gallon size on their website here. (They're so cheap there - that's where I always get mine!)

The-Freckled-Redhead-Organized-Pantry
Eventually, I'm going to get a basket to put on the floor for chips and stuff like that. Right now they're on the bottom shelf but they just don't stay neat enough so I'd like to put them in a basket.

The bottom shelf has cereal and crackers and snacks. The 2nd shelf has oils, vinegar's  sauces, bread crumbs and taco kits. The wire rack on the second shelf has popcorn and granola bars. The upper wire rack has croutons and pizza mixes.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Organized-Pantry
I was just looking at this picture and I'm like how did that get there? Apparently, Mr.B decided to put the blender jar on the top shelf. There is also extra bowls, a box of biscuit mix, and alcohol. The lower shelf has pastas and rice in apothecary jar, stock and some baking stuff. (The rest of my baking stuff is in our lazy susan - Mr.B might be onto something because I could move the rest of the blender in here and have room for that little bit of baking stuff.)  The next shelf has the  2 jars filled with pasta and the 3 tier shelf which is great for cans. There is other miscellaneous stuff like sauce, salsa and other condiments.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Organized-Pantry
So let's take a look back - here is what we started with. 3 wire shelves and a cardboard box turned upside down.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Organized-Pantry
I think it's safe to say we upgraded!

The-Freckled-Redhead-Organized-Pantry
We only had to buy the 16" board for the shelves and (1) 1 x 4 - all the rest of the wood we had left over from other projects. We purchased the wire racks and the jars. It is definitely going to change and grow with us that is for sure. Just writing this made me realize a few things I could change around and I'm okay with that.

I'm glad that I have enough room to be able to make some changes now - before the cardboard box was my biggest change to maximize things.

No dogs or iPhones were injured during the making of this organized pantry. Although, they were close by the whole time - for support.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Organized-Pantry
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover