February 12, 2013

Pantry Progress!

I mentioned on Friday that we were going to start tackling our pantry and boy did we! When I say 'we' I really mean I - Mr.B was busy with work this weekend so I tackled most of this on Saturday by myself.

I was so excited that I got almost all the way through emptying it out and realized I didn't take a picture! Just squint and imagine food on the shelves - there ya go - now you see it. The most we've done since we moved in was add the holder to the door - oh yeah over achievers.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Pantry-Organizing
In case you missed it - yes that is a cardboard box turned upside down being used as shelf. What can I say I'm a really classy girl - I did class it up there by using the Vera Bradley box to hold snacks. Typically juice, soda and big boxes of cheez-its just sit on the floor. By the way that big box of cheez-its was cheap and it spoke to me at Sam's Club so I took him home.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Pantry-Organizing
So you get the point the space wasn't functioning very well. 3 shelves spaced about 2 feet apart and then massive amounts of wasted space above the top shelf. Here's how it looked after I emptied it and exactly how it looked when we moved in 3 years ago.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Pantry-Organizing
I took all the shelves out and then got to work unscrewing all the supports. After those were all removed I was left with some pretty awesome holes. Some hand anchors and some didn't....either way it was a mess after this and it's pretty obvious the painting happened after the supports went in.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Pantry-Organizing
We are going to save the shelves that were in there and cut them down and use them in a small linen closet that is in our bathroom upstairs. I kept the screws but threw the rest out. You can buy those shelf brackets for really cheap so it was no love lost.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Pantry-Organizing
Next step was to patch up those big holes. I used this sheet rock patch compound because it was what we had on hand. You can see they come with a putty knife but I don't like using them because they don't have a nice sharp edge like the metal ones do.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Pantry-Organizing
I tried to take some pictures of how I did this but I'll admit it was kind of hard to have the camera in one hand and the putty knife in the other. I mixed the compound because it had sat awhile and was a little separated and then I got some on the knife.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Pantry-Organizing
Then you push the compound into the holes as much as you can. The putty knife is kind of flexible so you want to push it almost flat against the wall so that it really fills the hole.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Pantry-Organizing
After you've got a good amount of the wall - just lightly drag the putty knife to get the excess so you don't have a ton of sanding and unevenness (that's actually a word - in the dictionary) on your wall.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Pantry-Organizing
I let mine dry for several hours - I'm sure the container tells you how long to let it dry though. After everything was dry I used a sanding block to sand everything down so it was nice and smooth. I like using a sanding block for this because it goes up against the wall perfectly flat. You can use sandpaper but you just don't want to stay in one area too long or you'll create high and low spots.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Pantry-Organizing
The picture on the left is how it looked before I sanded it - it was a little bumpy. The picture on the right is after I sanded it down - nice and smooth!

The-Freckled-Redhead-Pantry-OrganizingThe-Freckled-Redhead-Pantry-Organizing
After I sanded everything I vacuumed up the little bit of dust that was around and wiped the walls down to get ready to paint. We had paint leftover from the living room which is Pumpkin Bread by Valspar - so we used that. I wanted it to be a nice pop of color in there so it worked out perfectly. We had like 1/4 of a gallon left and it was just enough. I used a roller for most of it and cut in with a brush around all the trim.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Pantry-Organizing
It's hard to get good pictures of it because it's so small and you have to stand in the bathroom - but here it was after one coat of paint. I was able to get another light coat in after that.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Pantry-Organizing
I was trimming out along the top and decided to just paint the ceiling the same color. The ceiling looked really bad anyways so I figured what the heck might as well and it helps it look a little bigger since it's all one color.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Pantry-Organizing
That was a ton of pictures - so next week I'll be back to show you how we finished it up. I got a lot of it done over the weekend (like staining and polying the shelves & supports) and we are hopefully going to get all the shelves in today so I don't have to have all the food in storage containers in the hall anymore.

The-Freckled-Redhead-Pantry-Organizing
It's definitely better than having it on the table or the counters but it just drives me crazy when things are not neat and tidy.

Got any tips or tricks for how to utilize the space? I sat down and figured out the spacing that would work best for us and purchased a bunch of stuff to help keep it neat and organized and can't wait to show you!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover